Name: Noelle Roemer
Department: Consultancy Services
Internship Period: 1 July – 31 August 2017
Motto: “Be creative, be useful, be practical, be generous and finish big.”
Why did you choose this department?
I am currently trying to figure out which field I could envision myself working in the future. Consultancy is one area which interests me a lot. Moreover, as I could see myself working in Asia, I wanted to get an insight on the Thai work environment. I am eager to find out how the chamber of commerce advises and helps companies identify specific business and investment opportunities in the Thai market. I thereby hope to get a more in depth insight of the Thai economy, customs and cultures which are vital for business success.
How do you spend your free time here?
I think it is essential to manage your work-life balance here in Bangkok! There are so many great things to do on your own or when hanging out with your colleagues after work and during weekends. Personally I love going to restaurants or bars with the incredible views of Bangkok’s skyline. I also love visiting different markets and buying things you cannot get in Germany or the Netherlands. Ask my flat mate, half of our apartment is decorated with unique items I bought abroad.
Tell us 3 good and 3 bad things you experienced in Thailand.
- Meeting great new people and exchanging experiences and viewpoints. Everyone here is so welcoming and open-minded. This already made Bangkok feel like ‘home away from home’.
- Some of my best evenings where at a small acoustic live music bar on Khaosan road! Amazing atmosphere and memories.
- A boat trip to the small islands surrounding Koh Samui. The views are breathtaking!
- I encountered a cockroach in my apartment a few days ago: gross!
- Getting dizzy from the constant changes in temperature: outside it’s very hot and humid, but for the office, restaurants and malls you will definitely want to bring a jacket!
- Unpredictable power outages (can be quite scary when you’re home alone).
What do you plan to do after your internship?
After my internship I will write my Bachelor thesis and complete my last semester at Maastricht University. In January I will move to Singapore for my semester abroad at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU). I am really excited to see how life in Singapore is different from Thailand. Next to my studies I plan to travel more across Asia and to meet new great people!